2018 First Ship Contest
The St. Lawrence Seaway from Montreal, and the Welland Canal will both open for the season on March 29, 2018. Guess when the first vessel will dock in Hamilton and win a great prize!
First Ship Contest
As the largest port in Ontario, the Port of Hamilton plays an essential role by supporting industries that touch our lives every day.
Each year, approximately 600 vessels come and go from the Port of Hamilton carrying everything from iron ore for steel, to industrial machinery, aggregates for road building, gasoline for your car, to Ontario-grown grain.
It won’t be long until the first ships of the 2018 season make their way through the St. Lawrence from overseas or Quebec ports, or through the Welland Canal from the upper Great Lakes.
When will the first one pass through the shipping canal into Hamilton Harbour? Take your best guess, and you could win a gift basket from The Hamilton Store (value: approx $250)!
(Hint: The St. Lawrence Seaway from Montreal, and the Welland Canal will both open for the season on March 29, 2018)
(Ontario residents only; must be 18+)
- No purchase necessary to enter or win.
- HOW TO ENTER: Go to the website of Hamilton Port Authority (HPA) (“contest sponsor”) at hamiltonport.ca and complete the official entry form by filling out your name, address, email address and telephone number.
- One entry accepted per person.
- Contest will be complete when the first vessel carrying new cargo enters the Port of Hamilton in Hamilton Harbour in 2018. Last contest entry accepted 12:00 pm March 26, 2018.
- All entries become property of Hamilton Port Authority.
- Entrants’ personal information will be used for the purpose of this contest only, and will be retained only when consent is given to be added to HPA’s newsletter mailing list.
- Contest sponsor may prohibit an individual’s participation in the contest at its discretion, if the individual (a) acts in a manner deemed to be unfair or inequitable with respect to the contest; (b) with intent to embarrass, threaten or harass the contest sponsor or any other entrant; (c) in a manner disruptive to the fair functioning of the contest. Any attempts to access the site via bot script or brute-force attack will result in that IP address being ineligible.
- WINNER: The contest winner will be the entrant who guesses the closest date and time of the first ship’s arrival. The arrival will be timed to the passage of the vessel through the Burlington Shipping Canal. In the event of tie entries, a blind ballot will be drawn between the eligible entries.
- Winner will be contacted by email and/or telephone. If the winner cannot be reached or does not respond within 24 hours, the entrant with the next-closest guess will be contacted to claim the prize.
- PRIZE DESCRIPTION: Prize package from The Hamilton Store valued at approximately $250CDN. No cash alternative. No prize substitutions.
- ELIGIBILITY: Open to Ontario residents only. 18 years or older. Hamilton Port Authority employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to win.
- Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for HPA to use winner’s first name and city of residence for publicity purposes.
- Sponsor is not responsible for any prize quality defects.
- Contest sponsored and administered by: Hamilton Port Authority, Public Affairs Dept., 605 James St. N., Hamilton, ON, L8L 1K1. 905-525-4330 ext 235.
At the Hamilton Port Authority, social responsibility has never been the focus of just one person or one department.