CareersThe Port of Hamilton is home to many companies, in a variety of sectors. Please visit their websites to explore career opportunities
Seasonal Employment Opportunity
The Hamilton Port Authority is currently looking for three seasonal employees to assist the Harbour West Marina with the recreational boat launch activities.
Reporting to the Marina Manager, the position will commence on April 15th, 2019 and run for approximately 6-8 weeks. Hours of operation are Monday to Friday 8am – 4pm with potential for overtime.
- Assisting with the launch of recreational boats
- Yard clean up
- Other duties as assigned
Outdoors (working inclement weather); physically demanding, combination of standing, walking, bending, crouching & kneeling; working near/around water; must be able to lift weights up to 22.5 kg (50 lbs)
Candidates must possess good communication skills, work well in a team environment and hold a valid driver’s license. Preference will be given to candidates with boating/marina experience.
To apply for this position, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes should be forwarded on or before April 5th, 2019.
“We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.”
Communications & Community Relations Coordinator
The Hamilton Port Authority (HPA) is seeking a highly motivated individual for the position of Communications & Community Relations Coordinator, reporting to the Director, Public Affairs.
As the Communications & Community Relations Coordinator, you will lead the HPA’s community outreach activities, promote goodwill, and foster and maintain positive relationships with key local stakeholders.
In addition, you will develop and implement creative communications strategies that enhance and extend HPA’s brand, and implement community-oriented projects on port lands.
- Develop, implement and maintain a community outreach program that encourages two-way communication between the HPA and its community stakeholders, and which promotes goodwill within the community while continuing to build the organization’s presence in a positive manner
- Plan and implement community improvement projects, and development of recreational and educational spaces and programming on port lands
- Seek, plan and lead opportunities to educate/build awareness of the HPA and Port of Hamilton to port neighbours & community organizations (i.e. facilitate port tours, participate in community events, festivals, etc.)
- Plan/execute communications strategies to build HPA’s brand locally and throughout Southern Ontario
- Develop professional communication tools including print, web, video and social media, managing external designers and suppliers
- Support the business activities of the HPA through the marketing of port services, commercial industrial real estate, the Harbour West Marina, etc.
- Plan and implement marketing campaigns to drive customer contact and sales leads, using traditional and digital marketing tools
- Support the Director, Public Affairs in advancing advocacy priorities with municipal, federal and provincial government bodies
- Research and develop advocacy materials, including presentation, briefing notes and articles
Our ideal candidate brings:
- Post-secondary education in communications, public relations, journalism, community development or similar study
- Three to five years’ of relevant work experience
- Excellent written communication skills; experience writing for a variety of applications, such as advertisements, blog posts, presentations, articles, marketing materials, etc.
- Experience planning, developing and leveraging the full range of communications products, including print production, web development and maintenance and social media
- Ability to analyze and interpret statistical information for public and media audiences
- Curious, creative strategic thinker, with a friendly and collaborative disposition
- Interest in transportation, goods movement, economic development, public policy
- Knowledge of Hamilton, its civic landscape, community organizations and media market
Please forward resumes by Friday March 20th, 2019, including salary expectations to email@example.com. Remuneration commensurate with experience.
“We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted”
About the Port of Hamilton
The Port of Hamilton is the largest marine port in Ontario, receiving approximately 600 vessel visits per year, both North American and international. The cargo that transits the Port of Hamilton is valued at approximately $2 billion, and is connected to $6 billion in economic activity and 38,000 jobs in Ontario.
About the Hamilton Port Authority
Hamilton Port Authority is one of 18 Canada Port Authorities, designated as stewards of critical national transportation infrastructure, and governed by the Canada Marine Act. Port authorities are mandated with helping to develop Canada’s regional and national economy. The Port of Hamilton provides cost-effective transportation for key industries and serves as a gateway to global markets. HPA is financially self-sufficient, and reports to its own Board of Directors. As a government-business enterprise, profit from HPA’s real estate and shipping-related functions is reinvested into port infrastructure for the benefit of port users and the wider community.
The HPA is guided by our Mission, Vision and Values.
We are responsible stewards of the Port and its robust marine, road and rail network. We create prosperity by facilitating commerce and providing sustainable solutions that offer value to our port community and benefit to other stakeholders
Create and lead and integrated port network on the Great Lakes
Safe, empowered and positive team
Collaboration to create long term value
Accountability for our decisions and actions
Respect and inclusivity
Continuous improvement and learning
Opportunities with Port of Hamilton Companies
Hamilton Port Partners: The Port of Hamilton is home to many companies, in a variety of sectors. Please visit their websites to explore career opportunities:
Bermingham Foundation Solutions
Brewer Brothers Marine Supply
Bunge North America
Canadian Asphalt Industries Inc.
Clare Moore Refrigeration
Collective Arts Brewing
Dean Construction Co. Ltd.
Federal Marine Terminals
Fluke Transportation Group
G3 Canada Ltd.
Genesee & Wyoming
Great Lakes Stevedoring
High Road Logistics
Hydronic Parts Group
Kubes Steel Inc.
Lakeshore Sand Co. Ltd.
Maritime Employers Association
Mattawa Industrial Services
McAsphalt Industries Ltd.
North American Tillage Tools
Parrish & Heimbecker
Robertson Building Systems
The Port of Hamilton is the largest port in Ontario, contributing to $6 billion in economic activity and 38,000 jobs in Ontario.Learn More