CareersThe Port of Hamilton is home to many companies, in a variety of sectors. Please visit their websites to explore career opportunities
The Hamilton Port Authority (HPA) is seeking a highly motivated individual for the position of Commercial Director. Reporting to the President & CEO, the Director is responsible to increase revenue through new and existing income streams.
In addition, the Director will advance the Mission and Vision of the organization through the development and implementation of commercial strategies while promoting a consistently positive image of the HPA and the Port of Hamilton, ensuring the Port retains its position as the leading Canadian Great Lakes port for trade, industry and recreation.
- Develop and implement strategies which support, and assist to achieve, the Mission and Vision of the organization
- Establish and implement short and long-range department goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures
- Form and maintain relationships with existing port customers, and prospective customers, as well as various stakeholders, to ensure that business of the Port is advanced effectively
- Address issues and concerns, facilitating contact between customers and relevant Port departments – accounting, maintenance etc.
- Responsible for the overall management of the Business Development function
- Expand property portfolio through strategic acquisition; research, analyze and recommend new business initiatives/ventures; solicit, facilitate and promote to prospective customers
- Develop a diversified customer base that will perform through economic cycles; maintain and develop strong relationships with Port customers and other key stakeholders
- Identify opportunities to develop new, and expand existing, Port of Hamilton services which offer value to the port community and benefit to other stakeholders
- Observe and analyze trends in shipping & trade industry, positioning the Port correctly for future growth; monitor economic changes/trends
- Initiate contact with potential customers through cold calls and referrals on a continuing basis
- Receive and manage customer and cargo inquiries via telephone, website and personal contact; comprehend client’s full requirements to ensure full encompassing solution is presented
- Oversee a highly functioning Real Estate team led by the Commercial Real Estate Manager
- Oversee a highly functioning Lease Administration team led by the Special Projects and Leasing Officer
- Determine best practices and spearhead systematic process improvement initiatives
- Lead, continually develop and mentor an effective and engaged team, implement a succession plan for the department
Our ideal candidate brings:
- Bachelor’s Degree – Business Administration, Commerce or a closely related field, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of International Trade and/or Logistics will be considered an asset
- A minimum of five years’ experience in a comparable senior commercial role
Please forward resumes by Friday, February 8th, 2019, including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Remuneration commensurate with experience.
“We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted”
About the Port of Hamilton
The Port of Hamilton is the largest marine port in Ontario, receiving approximately 600 vessel visits per year, both North American and international. The cargo that transits the Port of Hamilton is valued at approximately $2 billion, and is connected to $6 billion in economic activity and 38,000 jobs in Ontario.
About the Hamilton Port Authority
Hamilton Port Authority is one of 18 Canada Port Authorities, designated as stewards of critical national transportation infrastructure, and governed by the Canada Marine Act. Port authorities are mandated with helping to develop Canada’s regional and national economy. The Port of Hamilton provides cost-effective transportation for key industries and serves as a gateway to global markets. HPA is financially self-sufficient, and reports to its own Board of Directors. As a government-business enterprise, profit from HPA’s real estate and shipping-related functions is reinvested into port infrastructure for the benefit of port users and the wider community.
The HPA is guided by our Mission, Vision and Values.
We are responsible stewards of the Port and its robust marine, road and rail network. We create prosperity by facilitating commerce and providing sustainable solutions that offer value to our port community and benefit to other stakeholders
Create and lead and integrated port network on the Great Lakes
Safe, empowered and positive team
Collaboration to create long term value
Accountability for our decisions and actions
Respect and inclusivity
Continuous improvement and learning
Opportunities with Port of Hamilton Companies
Hamilton Port Partners: The Port of Hamilton is home to many companies, in a variety of sectors. Please visit their websites to explore career opportunities:
Bermingham Foundation Solutions
Brewer Brothers Marine Supply
Bunge North America
Canadian Asphalt Industries Inc.
Clare Moore Refrigeration
Collective Arts Brewing
Dean Construction Co. Ltd.
Federal Marine Terminals
Fluke Transportation Group
G3 Canada Ltd.
Genesee & Wyoming
Great Lakes Stevedoring
High Road Logistics
Hydronic Parts Group
Kubes Steel Inc.
Lakeshore Sand Co. Ltd.
Maritime Employers Association
Mattawa Industrial Services
McAsphalt Industries Ltd.
North American Tillage Tools
Parrish & Heimbecker
Robertson Building Systems
The Port of Hamilton is the largest port in Ontario, contributing to $6 billion in economic activity and 38,000 jobs in Ontario.Learn More