Director AppointmentsIt is the responsibility of the Hamilton Port Authority’s Board of Directors to exercise oversight of the activities of HPA, acting honestly and in good faith with a view to the best interests of the port authority
It is the responsibility of the Hamilton Port Authority’s Board of Directors to exercise oversight of the activities of HPA, acting honestly and in good faith with a view to the best interests of the port authority.
Directors serve a three-year term and are eligible for renewal only once. A period of 12 months must pass after the expiry of the second term before the individual may be eligible for another appointment
The Board of Directors for the Hamilton Port Authority is composed of 7 members appointed to office as follows:
- the Governor in Council appoints one (1) individual nominated by the Minister;
- the Corporation of the City of Hamilton, in consultation with the Corporation of the City of Burlington, appoints one (1) individual;
- the Province of Ontario appoints one (1) individual; and
- the Governor in Council appoints the four (4) remaining individuals nominated by the Minister in consultation with the HPA Nominating Committee
Role of the Nominating Committee
The permanent Nominating Committee (NC) of the HPA is composed of four members representing port users; one person elected by users in Class 1; two persons elected by users in Class 2; and one person elected by users in Class 3.
Definition of “User”
As outlined in the Canada Marine Act, a “user” is defined as a person (including a partnership, an association, a body corporate or an individual) who makes commercial use of, or provides services at, the Port.
Classes of Users
As set out in the Hamilton Port Authority Letters Patent, Schedule “D”, Classes of Users are as follows:
- Private Docks
- Port Authority Docks and Related Businesses
- All other port users, including but not limited to labour, environmental and recreational users
Process for Nominations
Sin the event of a vacant User Director position, or an anticipated vacancy, the CEO, in consultation with the Nominating Committee, coordinates a list of potential candidates.
The users within Class 1 will recommend potential candidates for one of the User Director positions; the users within Class 2 will recommend potential candidates for two of the User Director positions; and the users within Class 3 will recommend potential candidates for one of the User Director positions.
After review of the nominations, the Nominating Committee provides recommendations to the Minister of Transport. Subsequently, the Minister will nominate individuals to the Governor in Council to serve on the Board of the Hamilton Port Authority.
Experience and Knowledge Requirements for Directors
Directors appointed shall have generally acknowledged and accepted stature within the transportation industry or the business community and relevant knowledge and extensive experience related to the management of a business, to the operation of a port or to maritime trade.
Who is Not Eligible
The following persons are not eligible to be directors of a port authority (per Canada Marine Act, Section 16 (a-h):
- An individual who is a mayor, councillor, officer or employee of a municipality mentioned in the Port’s Letters Patent (Hamilton, Burlington);
- An individual who is a member of the Legislature of a Province, or an officer or employee of the Public Service or of a Crown corporation of a Province (Ontario);
- A Senator or a member of Parliament or an officer or employee of the federal public service or of a federal Crown corporation;
- An individual who is not a resident Canadian, as defined in Subsection 2(1) of the Canada Business Corporations Act;
- An individual who is a director, officer or employee of a person who is a user of the Port;
- An individual who is under eighteen years of age;
- An individual who has been declared mentally incompetent by a court in Canada or elsewhere, or;
- An individual who is “an undischarged bankrupt
Board of Directors Nomination Package
If you wish to apply to be a member of the board of directors, please download a nomination package at the link below.